Is food your one true love? Are you an absolute foodie? Are you are that friend who never says no to food? Do you have feelings of guilt and shame after eating like a monster, the good news is you can overcome binge eating! In this article, we will be revealing 10 ways to stop binge eating! But first we need some science class ladies:
What is Binge Eating?
Binge eating is actually a disorder and you’re not alone! Millions of people around the world suffer from binge eating. It is an eating disorder in which people eat large amounts of food without any portion control, even when they are not hungry. After the session is completed, the individual might sense a strong feeling of guilt. Regular binge eating sessions can cause obesity, heart0related diseases and diabetes.
10 Ways to Overcome Binge Eating:
1. Eat well: You heard it right! Foodies you need to eat well in order to avoid binging. Often people who try crash dieting, get off high-calorie diet altogether. Removing your favourite food items altogether can tempt you to binge eat even more. Instead nourish and fill yourself with healthy foods like vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, dairy, nuts, fresh juices, unprocessed foods, etc., to feel fuller and avoid binge eating. According to studies, people who plan a restrictive diet tend to cheat and binge eat. Instead delight yourself with your soul food once or twice a week (preferably on weekends), and rest of the days, stick to a healthy diet.
2. Eat on Regular Intervals: Often people try to cut back calories through skipping meals in order to lose weight, but when you are too hungry, you will end up snacking on almost anything to curb hunger! We recommend eating 4-6 meals per day to avoid overeating. Begin your day with a healthy breakfast and then follow up with a mid-snack, lunch, evening-snack, and finally dinner. According to studies, people who skipped meals often indulged in binge eating frequently compared to candidates who consumed all their scheduled meals. Tip- If you are an office/college goer, carry a small box with nuts like walnuts, sunflower seeds, pistachios to avoid reaching out for unhealthy snacks.
3. Join a yoga class: Yoga is all about balancing mind-body-soul. Performing yoga can lower your stress levels and can calm your unnecessary food thoughts. Try breathing techniques, there are many videos available on YouTube or take classes from a qualified yoga instructor. According to studies, individual who performed yoga developed healthier eating habits and had lower chances of binge eating. Studies prove that yoga can lower stress hormones called cortisol that reduce stress and alos binge eating.
4. Clean thy kitchen: If your kitchen is loaded with Nutella, chips, and cookies, it is easier for you to binge! Clean your kitchen and remove all unhealthy and packaged food stuff. Instead replenish your kitchen with fruits, vegetables, yogurt, nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, lean meat, paneer, soy milk, eggs, oats, muesli, multigrain braid and other healthier food options. This way, whenever you’re hungry, you’ll end up eating healthy! Thank me later!
5. Drink enough water: Drinking enough water would not only keep you hydrated, it also would help curb over-eating or binge eating. According to studies, increasing water intake can decrease hunger and limit calories, which means, you would eventually lose some weight. Studies showed that drinking water 30 minutes prior to a meal helps people from overeating during meal time, also it increased the feeling fullness and improved metabolism. Drinking enough water is excellent if your looking to shed weight. Bonus – Drinking water will get you glowing skin, beautiful hair, stronger nails, clean digestive tract and can lower the numbers on your weight scale. If you look at pictures of celebrities you’ll always find Jhanvi Kapoor with a water bottle in hand. Hope you know her secret now!
6. Burn those calories: In order to burn adequate calories, you need to perform cardiovascular exercises like running, jogging, cycling, dancing, HIIT workout etc. You can join a gym or get a HIIT home workout done to burn calories and lose weight. According to studies, regular exercising reduces binge eating. It also reduces stress, uplifts moods and prevents emotional eating.
7. Increase Protein Intake: It is believed that protein-rich foods can keep you full for longer and control your appetite. According to studies, regular consumption of protein helps people to lose weight and lowered calorie intake. It also boots metabolism and increased a hormone called glucagon-like peptide-1 that suppresses appetite. High protein foods are- egg whites, chicken breast, fish, tofu, paneer, soy products, chickpea, peanuts, almonds, chia seeds, oats etc.
8. Get Enough Sleep: Surprisingly, sleep is linked with hunger and appetite levels, sleep deficiency can cause over-eating and weight gain. Studies proved that shorter sleep duration increased levels of hunger hormone ghrelin and reduced levels of leptin (the hormone that promotes fullness). It is advisable to sleep at least 8 hours per night to keep your appetite in moderate level and to avoid binge eating.
9. Plan your Meals: Plan your meals 1-2 days prior in order to avoid unhealthy food options from outside. You can stock up your kitchen prior to avoid junk snacking. Grocery shopping during weekends should be a scheduled task so that you do not run out of healthy meal options. According to a survey, planning meals improved diet quality and lowered the risk of obesity and other diseases. Meal planning helps you to stick to a regular eating pattern and avoid chance of binge eating. Tip- carry a snack box that consist of fruits/ nuts/ peanut butter sandwich to avoid processed foods like chips or biscuits when outside. Subscribe to Rati Beauty for elaborate diet plans to lose weight and keep healthy in a safe manner, without compromising on nutrition.
10. Seek medical help: If the above tips do not prove beneficial, it’s prudent to rule out underlying medical conditions, we suggest visiting a doctor and follow a medical treatment.
Hope the above tips helps and you binge on healthier foods options. Till then eat healthy and stay fit!
Read more: makeupandbeauty.com